14.7.14

Vannes

So originally, I had wanted to write about the food I ate here in Vannes, Bretagne (Brittany to Americans), France ... but I'm not going to lie. Too much time has passed since then. Although the date shows I'm posting this while I was in Vannes, I actually am not.

Honestly, none of the food I was going to write about had to do with restaurants because I think I got a limonade (not the same as a lemonade) at one place, but that was the only time I didn't eat home-cooked meals. As I remember this, I also remember that I think that is what I was going to write about. The original purpose was to see how the French eat today even with the French gastronomic meals being preserved by UNESCO. Although in all of these places, I saw multiple courses, I hardly ever saw the full meal being served.

Except here.

In Vannes, maybe because I was a guest, they start with the aperitif and end with a digestif. There were multiple dishes. It reminded me of the last time I was in Korea when my Korean mom tried to feed me after I was full. My friend's mom did not push me like my mom, but she did feed me a large variety of things, so I wanted to try everything.

By the way, the crepes really are better in Bretagne. But more on this later.

Though Vannes is small in comparison to Paris, London, Stockholm - even Tallinn, food-wise, I remember it being nice. Everything I ate was good and it still looks quite common to go to the fresh markets and speciality shops. I know Paris has a multitude of fresh markets and speciality shops, but for convenience, I feel like it is more common to go to a grocery store. Thus, the feeling of picking out your fresh vegetables is much nicer. It's like going to a farmer's market in the US versus going to Wal-Mart or Kroger (or whatever your region's store is called). It simply cannot compete.

Basically, every point in the UNESCO document - about fresh food, number of courses, etc. - was true here. I feel like Bretagne, which I believe is a bit more traditional generally speaking (it's also the most Catholic region in France), is truly maintaining this French custom.

Oh, yeah, and their ice cream shops are amazing, too. Quiberon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci beaucoup !